DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH
CDRI, Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, is seeking to appoint a Director of Research to join its senior management team. Established in 1990, CDRI is an independent multi-disciplinary policy research institute working in the fields of economics, education, agriculture, governance, environment and health. CDRI pursues its mission through research and its dissemination, policy influencing, and capacity development, supported by a research library and seminars, workshops and conferences. While independent, CDRI works in partnerships with the major stakeholders in Cambodia’s development – the Royal Government of Cambodia and its agencies, international development partners, the private sector, research community, and civil society.
The Director of Research position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to lead and manage CDRI’s research programme, consistent with the CDRI mission statement and goals, and its Cambodia Country Research Strategy and associated Strategic Plan. S/he will have a commitment to quality research and to ensure the integrity and relevance of research projects to the policy needs of Cambodia’s socio-economic development. The holder of the position will provide strategic direction and support to a multi-disciplinary team of researchers.
The Director of Research will foster and strengthen the professional development and capacity building of Cambodian researchers. S/he will promote a collegial working environment, conducive to scholarship, creativity and productivity. S/he will assume responsibility for the delivery of research outputs and ensure the effective dissemination of research findings and analysis; and for actively engaging Cambodian policy makers, the development assistance community, and civil society organisations in policy discussion. S/he will develop relationships in support of research objectives, and facilitate national, regional, and international cooperation between research institutes with mutual interests.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in a Development field relevant to CDRI’s research priorities, with a strong track record of applied and policy-oriented development research in the Asian region;
- A recent record of achievement in development research leadership and management with a significant institution;
- A significant body of development research publications in a field relevant to Cambodia’s development priorities;
- A strong commitment to quality development policy research in Cambodia and its region;
- Excellent communication skills including English writing and oral skills, and cross-cultural sensitivity, with Khmer language skills an advantage;
- Proven record of successful research grant applications;
- Experience in mentoring and coaching researchers;
- Strong research capacity building, quality assurance, teambuilding and research management skills.
The appointment is by contract for a three year period with the possibility of extension. CDRI welcomes secondments from other research institutions. Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. Application letter with a detailed CV, publication references, and names and contact details of three professional referees should be addressed to the Executive Director by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to PO Box 622, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, by 29 December 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This is re-advertised position. Further details may be obtained from the CDRI website: http://www.cdri.org.kh
Intern to Economics Research Unit
The Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI), Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, is seeking to recruit one full-time intern for a six-month period to assist in economics unit.
The intern should be able to work for a minimum of eight hours per working day, five days a week, with specific arrangements to be discussed.
- Fresh graduated student in the field of economics, development studies or international studies.
- Good communication skills in Khmer and English, both oral and written.
- Positive attitude and good team work.
- Knowledge of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Willingness to undertake a variety of duties as required by the unit head.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application online to HR and Administration Department of CDRI via email email@example.com or to CDRI office located at house #56, St 315, Tuol Kork, Phnom Penh, with detailed cover letter and a comprehensive curriculum vitae. Deadline of application is 12th April 2018.
Female applicants and applicants with disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Scholarship for PhD Student
Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI) works in partnership with Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia (PUC) and Zürich University of Teacher Education (PH Zürich) to jointly implement the research project entitled “The contribution of vocational skills development to inclusive industrial growth and transformation: An analysis of critical factors in 6 countries”. In addition to research outputs, the project aims to build research capacity of young Cambodian researchers. To achieve this objective, we offer a scholarship to one new full-time PhD student at PUC.
- Implement research activities as instructed by project leader from PH Zürich and project coordinator and post-doctorate researcher from CDRI;
- Participate in identifying and reviewing relevant literature;
- Contribute to the development of research instruments for data collection and analysis;
- Take part in the implementation of field work, data collection, and the process of data entry, cleaning, and processing;
- Contribute to the survey analysis, report writing and publication of results;
- Participate in the meetings of the project steering board (generally over Skype);
- Travel to and stay at research sites in the provinces if necessary.
The scholarship provides:
- Course tuition fees for three years
- An annual allowance at $8,000
- Travel funding for fieldwork and international seminar
- Working station at CDRI
Conditions and Eligibility Criteria
- Cambodian citizenship
- Advanced English proficiency
- Be admitted to a PhD program at PUC
- Minimum 2 years of research experience
- Commitment as a full-time PhD student and researcher
Interested applicants are invited to submit their CV to Dr Ouch Chandarany at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11 April 2018.