DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH
CDRI, Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, is seeking to appoint a Research of Director to join its senior management team. Established in 1990, CDRI is an independent multi-disciplinary policy research institute working in the fields of economics, education, agriculture, governance, environment and health. CDRI pursues its mission through research and its dissemination, policy influencing, and capacity development, supported by a research library and seminars, workshops and conferences. While independent, CDRI works in partnerships with the major stakeholders in Cambodia’s development – the Royal Government of Cambodia and its agencies, international development partners, the private sector, research community, and civil society.
The Director of Research position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to lead and manage CDRI’s research programme, consistent with the CDRI mission statement and goals, and its Cambodia Country Research Strategy and associated Strategic Plan. S/he will have a commitment to quality research and to ensure the integrity and relevance of research projects to the policy needs of Cambodia’s socio-economic development. The holder of the position will provide strategic direction and support to a multi-disciplinary team of researchers.
The Director of Research will foster and strengthen the professional development and capacity building of Cambodian researchers. S/he will promote a collegial working environment, conducive to scholarship, creativity and productivity. S/he will assume responsibility for the delivery of research outputs and ensure the effective dissemination of research findings and analysis; and for actively engaging Cambodian policy makers, the development assistance community, and civil society organisations in policy discussion. S/he will develop relationships in support of research objectives, and facilitate national, regional, and international cooperation between research institutes with mutual interests.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in a Development field relevant to CDRI’s research priorities, with a strong track record of applied and policy-oriented development research in the Asian region;
- A recent record of achievement in development research leadership and management with a significant institution;
- A significant body of development research publications in a field relevant to Cambodia’s development priorities;
- A strong commitment to quality development policy research in Cambodia and its region;
- Excellent communication skills including English writing and oral skills, and cross-cultural sensitivity, with Khmer language skills an advantage;
- Proven record of successful research grant applications;
- Experience in mentoring and coaching researchers;
- Strong research capacity building, quality assurance, teambuilding and research management skills.
The appointment is by contract for a three year period with the possibility of extension. CDRI welcomes secondments from other research institutions. Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. Application letter with a detailed CV, publication references, and names and contact details of three professional referees should be addressed to the Executive Director by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to PO Box 622, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, by 29 December 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This is re-advertised position. Further details may be obtained from the CDRI website: http://www.cdri.org.kh
VACANCY NOTICE: LIBRARY INTERNS
The Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI), Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, is seeking applicants for the position of Part-time Intern to assist with the daily work at the CDRI Library. The Intern should be able to work for a minimum of 4 hours per working day.
- Check-out and check-in books for borrowers
- Put returned and used books back on the shelves in the correct place
- Prepare membership cards for new library users
- Train new users on how to search library catalogue and locate books
- Remind borrowers to return overdue books
- Help in other tasks such as binding books and photocopying
- Undertake other duties as requested.
- Experience in using the library
- Fourth year university students are encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of computer software: Microsoft Word, Excel (IT qualification is an advantage)
- Willingness to learn and capacity to carry out other tasks as required
- Good communication skills in English and Khmer, both oral and written.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications along with the names and contact details of two referees knowledgeable about the candidate’s qualifications, online at email@example.com or by mail to CDRI # 56, St 315, Tuol Kork, Phnom Penh. Applications should reach CDRI by 13 December 2017
Only short-listed candidates will be notified
Female applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
Scholarship for PhD Student
Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI) works in partnership with Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia (PUC) and Zurich University of Teacher Education (PH Zurich) to jointly implement the research project entitled “The contribution of vocational skills development to inclusive industrial growth and transformation: An analysis of critical factors in 6 countries”. In addition to research outputs, the project aims to build research capacity of young Cambodian researchers. To achieve this objective, we offer a scholarship to one new full-time PhD student at PUC.
- Implement research activities as instructed by project leader from PH Zurich and post-doctorate researcher from CDRI;
- Contribute to the development of research instruments for data collection and analysis;
- Prepare country study on Cambodia, providing, firstly, an overview of the country’s economic system, labour market and education and training system, and secondly, a detailed account of the status and development of 3 major industries and of the skill training programmes catering to employees in these industries at the operational, technician and management level;
- Contribute to the survey analysis, report writing and publication of results.
- Participate in the meetings of the project steering board (generally over Skype).
The scholarship provides:
- Course tuition fees for three years
- An annual allowance at $8,000
- Travel funding for fieldwork and international seminar
- Working station at CDRI
Conditions and Eligibility Criteria
- Cambodian citizenship
- Advanced English proficiency
- Be admitted to a PhD program at PUC
- Minimum 2 years of research experience
- Commitment as a full-time PhD student and researcher
Interested applicants are invited to email Dr. Ly Monirith at MLY@puc.edu.kh as soon as possible as the project begins 01 January 2018.