Research Associate (Economics)
(This is a re-advertisement, previous candidates no need to re-apply.)
CDRI—Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, working to support capacity development within selected government and civil society institutions—is seeking ambitious and highly qualified Cambodian national applicant for the Research Associate for the Economics Unit.
- Participating in project planning, budgeting, and resource mobilisation
- Leading or taking part in identifying and reviewing relevant literature, developing research instruments, analysing data, and writing reports
- Leading the implementation of field work; and the process of data entry, cleaning, and processing
- Participating in coaching and mentoring research assistants; and seeking guidance from experts or research advisers as appropriate
- Taking part in coordinating regional research network and planning and running workshops and conferences
- Taking part in networking, consulting, and partnership building with government counterparts, NGOs, donor agencies and other research institutions in and outside Cambodia
- Master degree (PhD is preferred) in economics, international trade or development study
- At least two years’ work experiences in research related fields
- Strong knowledge in quantitative method, econometrics and STATA is a plus
- Strong organizational skills, some experience in management, research proposal writing, and team work and motivation
- Ability to plan, set goals and meet deadlines
- Good research skills, conceptual and analytical capabilities
- Willingness to carry out fieldwork involving in-country travel to rural areas
- Good communication skills in English and Khmer, both oral and written
Application letter, detailed CV, sample publications and list of three professional referees (names, positions, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers) must be submitted by 12 August 2018 to the Human Resources and Administration Unit, CDRI, PO Box 622, Phnom Penh, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. <<Full job description>>
Female applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for interview.
Research Associate (Education)
CDRI—Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute—is seeking one ambitious and highly qualified Cambodian national researcher for the position of Research Associate to be based in the Education Unit of CDRI.
- Lead, design and implement research projects and deliver the results on time;
- Review relevant literature, provide technical input on methodology and conceptualisation, and take part in data analysis and write-ups;
- Provide technical support for translations of English publications;
- Mentor junior researcher, while at the same time, seek guidance and advice from local and international scholars and researchers;
- Take part in networking and consultation with all relevant partners, including the government agencies, NGOs, donors and other research institutes in and outside Cambodia;
- Write grant proposals to seek research funding;
- Participate in and monitor project planning, budgeting and staffing; and
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Unit Head/Director of Research.
- Master’s degree (PhD is preferred) in education, social science or related fields;
- At least three years of experience in tertiary and vocational/technical education research;
- Strong quantitative and mixed methods research background;
- Strong communication skills, experience in mentoring young researchers, and strong commitment to professional development;
- Demonstrated organisational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to produce concise, high-level briefings and reports;
- Proven record of publications in English languages within the last five years (articles in international peer-reviewed journals, book chapters or books);
- Experience with research grant writing a plus.
The appointment is for an initial one-year period, with the possibility of extension depending on work performance and funding availability. Qualified applicants are invited to send a detailed CV, a cover letter addressing their qualifications against the criteria above, sample academic/policy research publications and a list of three professional referees (names, position titles, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers) through e-mail at email@example.com by 13 August 2018. <<Full job description>>
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for interview.
Intern to Economics Research Unit
The Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI) is an independent and resilient centre of research excellence for innovative ideas to influence policy that impacts on Cambodia’s development.
CDRI is seeking to recruit one Full-time Intern to assist the Economics Unit. The Intern will be required to work an eight-hour day and be available to start work in mid-August 2018.
- Fourth year student or recent university graduates, preferably in the field of economics, development studies or international studies, or a related field;
- Understanding of quantitative/qualitative research methods. Some experiences with EXCEL, SPSS and other analytical packages. Positive attitude and good team work;
- Willing to learn and undertake a variety of duties as required by the unit head and/or by the assigned researchers;
- Good communication skills in Khmer and English, both oral and written;
- Positive attitudes, commitment to excellence, and ability to work in team and independently;
- Commitment to work in this position for a minimum of six months.
- Participation in CDRI’s mentorship and professional development training program;
- Be part of the highly dynamic and innovative team;
- A monthly stipend of USD200.
Interested applicants are invited to submit Curriculum Vitae and a cover letter stating motivation and qualification to HR and Administration Department of CDRI via firstname.lastname@example.org or hard copy at CDRI office address: #56, Street 315, Tuol Kork, Phnom Penh. Deadline of application is 6 August 2018.
Female applicants and applicants with disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Scholarship for PhD Student
Cambodia Development Resource Institute (CDRI) works in partnership with Paññāsāstra University of Cambodia (PUC) and Zürich University of Teacher Education (PH Zürich) to jointly implement the research project entitled “The contribution of vocational skills development to inclusive industrial growth and transformation: An analysis of critical factors in 6 countries”. In addition to research outputs, the project aims to build research capacity of young Cambodian researchers. To achieve this objective, we offer a scholarship to one new full-time PhD student at PUC.
- Implement research activities as instructed by project leader from PH Zürich and project coordinator and post-doctorate researcher from CDRI;
- Participate in identifying and reviewing relevant literature;
- Contribute to the development of research instruments for data collection and analysis;
- Take part in the implementation of field work, data collection, and the process of data entry, cleaning, and processing;
- Contribute to the survey analysis, report writing and publication of results;
- Participate in the meetings of the project steering board (generally over Skype);
- Travel to and stay at research sites in the provinces if necessary.
The scholarship provides:
- Course tuition fees for three years
- An annual allowance at $8,000
- Travel funding for fieldwork and international seminar
- Working station at CDRI
Conditions and Eligibility Criteria
- Cambodian citizenship
- Advanced English proficiency
- Be admitted to a PhD program at PUC
- Minimum 2 years of research experience
- Commitment as a full-time PhD student and researcher
Interested applicants are invited to submit their CV to Dr Ouch Chandarany at email@example.com by 11 April 2018.