The Greater Mekong Subregion Research Network (GMS-Net)
The Greater Mekong Subregion Research Network (GMS-Net), formerly known as the Development Analysis Network (GMS-DAN), is a network of development research institutions in the Mekong region. With support from Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC), CDRI is coordinating a three-year program on improving job prospects for young, low-skilled and women workers in the Mekong region. A competitive call for research papers in 2015 attracted 21 entries. Research grants of up to USD40, 000 were awarded to eight research teams, three from Cambodia, two from Vietnam and one each from Thailand, Laos and Yunnan province of China.
- Develop policy options, new practices and institutional arrangements for more jobs with better working conditions, especially in the context of the ASEAN Economic Community.
- Examine the current role of the private sector in job creation (labour market demand) and workforce skills development (labour market supply).
- Promote young regional talent to lead policy research and reform options.
Research Theme 1:
Inequality of earnings by gender, geographical location and ethnicity
Research Theme 2:
Labour market regulations and wage setting
Research Theme 3:
Safety nets for youth, low-skilled and women
Research Theme 4:
Private sector development and its role in skills development
Research Theme 5:
Implications of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) for labour market policies and institutions
Building the capacity of young researchers is central to the work of GMS-Net. Each project team has a mentor for technical guidance, and intensive pre-research training ensured researchers have the skills they need for their immediate research studies and beyond.
- Improved policy dialogue between researchers, private sector, NGOs and policymakers in the Mekong;
- Policy changes in the Mekong: beyond supporting interactions; and
- Enhanced leadership of researchers and research institutes for impact.
Job Prospects for Youth, Low-skilled and Women Workers in the Greater Mekong Subregion
Cost and Benefits of Cross-Country Labour Migration in the Greater Mekong Subregion
Off-farm and Non-farm Employment in Southeast Asian Transitional Economies and Thailand
Labour Markets in Transitional Economies in Southeast Asia and Thailand: A Study in Four Countries